Auriel’s Journal – Entry 1
Returning to Sanctum was…well…different. I find I’m suddenly getting along with, and enjoying the company of…these…beings. Perhaps I did contract the pox after all…
but I digress…
When we walked into town, the first thing I longed to do was to spend some quality time with my studies and away from the others (especially Mir… the fact that we came from the same womb is sometimes even incomprehensible to me…)
But, after visiting the witch’s hut on the way back from the obelisk, it was apparent that taking some time alone was not going to be possible.
While visiting the witch, she informed us that our hard work may still have been for naught. The place that is now a watery marsh was once a beautiful forest. In that forest, a “great evil” was imprisoned. 3 tethers, guarded as a joint effort between mages, clerics and druids, were created to keep this “great evil” at bay. This being? force? something? known as “great evil” is still imprisoned, but the tether the witch guards has deteriorated, and continues to deteriorate rapidly. She needs our help to keep the “great evil” from entering our world.
According to the witch, the last time the tethers weakened, portals to the Shadowfell and the Abyss opened to our world. After telling her of our encounter with the fire demon-esque being on our way to her hut, she is almost certain that the other tethers have deteriorated just as badly as the one she guards.
We asked what could be done about the tethers, and the witch did have an answer for us. She said that the tethers could be repaired, but that she did not possess the power to repair it herself. As the only remaining guard of this tether (and the only KNOWN guard of the tethers…the other two may have been abandoned many moons ago) , there is no one else around to help her to repair the tethers.
At this point, I wondered how in the world we would be able to help her, if she, being a powerful witch, couldn’t even do anything. I wondered why we were even there…but before I could say anything, the rest of the party had questioned if there was anyone anywhere who could help (which, according to Mir, was a good thing…he said that asking how we could help if she herself was inept would have been offensive, especially after the obelisk strained her considerably…quite frankly, I don’t understand how the truth could be offensive…but Mir says I’m, “not the diplomat for a reason.”) She informed us that an old pupil of hers, Meorran, had created lanternwards that could be used to repair the three tethers. There are 3 in existence, and as each lanternward is used, it is likely to be destroyed. The first lanternward ward is guarded by Lady Miura Hammertone. The second lanternward is usually guarded by the Mayor, but is guarded by the Stewardess, since the Mayor and the Lady Hammertone are currently one in the same. The third lanternward is in the possession of Meorran herself, so we must find her in order to complete our task.
Oh, I almost forgot! The locations of these tethers. The tether the witch guards is located to the South, below the Shrine of Avandra. Before the “change in landscape”, the other two were found in the Nth West and the Nth East – in the possession of the Mountain people and the Elves. Elves…who puts ELVES in charge of anything? No wonder the tethers are deteriorating…
At this point, however, we aren’t sure if the people who preside over the tethers have any clue that they are even there…
The imprisoned “great evil”‘s whereabouts is unknown, even to the Witch. She doesn’t even know what this “great evil” really is. It could be a demon, or just evil in its true, unaltered form. (META: Think – Buffy Season 7 – the First Evil) I just hope it isn’t a fluffy bunny…or something equally NOT as terrifying…
Our next step is to talk to the lords and ladies of Sanctum and inform them of the situation – both of the eradication of the pox, and the current predicament we find ourselves in….
Auriel’s Journal – Entry 2
So before we go to talk to the lords and ladies of Sanctum, Crag has told us that we have a mission to complete at the Temple of Moradin. Begrudgingly, I follow…we’ll see where this leads us…
Auriel’s Journal – Entry 3
After walking into the Temple of Moradin, I was immediately struck by the beautiful architecture! The stone work is just gorgeous! Anyway, we arrived to find Frozen Frostbeard alive and standing before us. A pity that Crag could not come along too, but he said he had other matters pending that needed immediate attention…
Scribbles in the margin:
- We talk Miura into giving us her lanternward, as long as we try to bring it back unharmed if possible.
- We meet Yara outside the castle and she joins us. Auriel is (as always) suspicious of a shaman…she remains tolerant…but not exactly nice.
- Belster uses the lanternward to track us to the Avandra shrine.
- We kill 2 purple fey panthers and 1 runs away.
- Belster freaks out because the statue of Avandra looks like the specter from his vision, and Yara feels empty because she can’t feel/hear the spirits here.
- Inside the Shrine we kill 4 wraiths vulnerable to cold.
- Mirren receives shining Bold Victory Chain Armor.
- Enter a room with a statue of Avandra, domed ceiling with painted spoked wheel (the symbol of Fortune, an alias of Avandra).
- Find a secret door, the passageway has a lot of branching.
- We enter another room with water and fog, where we find pristine leather gloves, given to Yara.
- Encountered and slayed mourning haunt, an elemental creature concealed by mist.
- Exploring more of the passages, encountered a doom spore, which is innocuous if you’re healthy, and poisonous if you’re bloodied.
- Another room that looks like an armory, encountered and slayed a specter (vulnerable to radiant damage), obtaining Helm of Opportunity, given to Belster.
- In a large room, encountered the young black dragon that killed Frozen before in a pool of water, and slayed it.
- Down a corridor hidden by rubble, found a room with statues of Avandra, and a pile of loot. However, the statues have nimbuses, so we chose not to go in yet.
- We went back to the dragon room, and enter a room behind water logged doors. Encountered an ochre jelly, and killed it while singing.